Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Baby T: First Contact

One of the coolest things I have ever done was today. Today was the end of the first trimester check-up for Mrs. IWG. At this visit to Dr. Fun as I like to call him, cuz he is hilarious, we got to hear our baby's heartbeat for the first time. WOW! I was overwhelmed when the sound came over the machine. Mrs. IWG was beside herself laughing and giggling in anticipation of the event, and then immeadiately dissolved into happy tears, making it difficult to hear the sounds again. Watching her react is one of the great things about going to the doctor during the pregnancy!

The whole occassion is somewhat surreal, and when you hear the heartbeat it is a relief! I spent the time before wondering, "What if the heartbeat is not right?", "What if there is no heartbeat?", and "My God, what if there are two heartbeats?". So when the sound came over the receiver and the doctor pronounced that the baby sounded good, I was super relieved and could smile!

First contact has been made, and we now know for sure, there is a living and growing thing inside of my wife. How cool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home