Sunday, August 22, 2004

Stick The Landing

Okay, I admit that I am kind of a geek when it comes to the Olympics. I did not pay any attention to any of these sports before last weekend, but now that they are on TV I cannot help but become enthralled with the drama. One of my favorites that I am waiting for is the indoor cycling. It is simply amazing to watch that many bikes on an inclined track racing at amazing speeds. I think I am addicted to the Olympics though, I sat this morning and watched the entire live broadcast of the women's marathon....two hours and eighteen minutes...with commerical breaks. To top it all off, NBC's melodramatic heartstring stories had me so emotional by the end that I shed a tear when the woman from Great Britain had to quit, and when the American took the bronze...damn emotions!

I also know I am too enthralled when I start to pick apart the terminology and rules for some of the events. The one that has me perplexed tonight has to do with gymnastics, which is one of the sports I only see when the Olympics role around. I love the gymnasts because they are able to do things with their bodies I could never possibly do, but can certainly fantacize about! Tonight the floor exercises were going on and I noticed the commentary..."A wonderful dismount!", "A difficult mount to start". Now, my question is, how does one technically "mount" the floor exercise? When you step on the floor, are you not mounting this apparatus? The conundrum has me searching the complex resources of my college trained critical thinking mind. Can one additionally mount something that one is already mounted on? The real kicker is then, how does one "dismount" the floor exercise. My creative mind wanders to gymnasts doing a double-back sommersalt off of the floor and exploding like a rocket off of the floor, out of the arena, and into the sky above. Or perhaps if the gymanst stuck the landing, and was sucked into the earth...that would be a dismount!

If anyone can help my feeble mind grasp mounting a floor, let me know. Otherwise, I will be here attempting "stick the landing" each time I get up from the couch....


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home