Saturday, April 02, 2005

Simply Amazing!!

The second half for the Illini against Louisville was a thing of beauty. Never discount the power of senior leadership. Roger Powell and Luther Head were awesome. Jack Ingram was awesome.

Now we are going to play for the National Title....and the Iowawineguy will be there. I am humbled. I cannot believe it. I got pretty emotional as the game ticked down. Why am I lucky enough to be in this position?

I usually see at least one Illini game in person each year, at least I have for the past 8 years or so. Last year it was the Border War in St. Louis, the year before it was a home game against Oakland at the Assembly Hall. This year it will be the National Title Game. For me, being an Illini fan for all of my life, there will be no greater thrill no matter what happens in the game. However, I truly will be surprised if this Illini team loses. They keep finding ways to amaze.

So this National Title game is for:
... Lou Do.
...those that now that Oskee Wow Wow from the hold is always in the perfect key for stadium buzzers.
...for Matt Heldman, taken too early from the Illini Nation.
...the Orange Krush, the best student section in the nation.
...my Grandpa Max, a U of I alumnus.
...my Uncle Terry, a U of I mens basketball alum.
...my Mom, who has loved and followed this team with passion and zeal ever since running the Deon Thomas basketball camps.
...Mark Tupper, you write beautifully about Illinois sports.
...Deon Thomas.
...Champaign-Urbana.
...Jim Turpin and Loren Tate.
...the Assembly Hall, one of the best college basketball venues in the land.
...the Peoria guys.
...the Illini Nation, the ones that sit in an empty Memorial Stadium because they love the teams.
...Chief Illiniwek, you may be politically incorrect, but you still give me goose bumps.
...for everyone, this team is inspiring, fun, and amazing.

It makes me sad that there will only be one game left in this season that has been so much fun. Hang on to it because the memories will last forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home