Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Random Musings....

If you couldn't tell from the pictures, I became a new father to a son on March 10th, 2005. Fatherhood has been very rewarding so far. Mrs. IWG and I are trying to hang in with the baby on his schedule and finding it tough to get as much rest as we would really like. Blogging has certainly taken a hit lately...so let me talk randomly.

...The Schiavo case is killing the Republicans. Several polls have shown approval ratings for the Congress and for Bush dropping signifcantly. The CBS poll tonight had Bush at 43%, ouch. This is not surprising considering that 83% of Americans say they would not want to be kept alive were they to be in the same position. I hate that this became a rallying cry of DeLay and the pro-life Republicans, trying to politizice and mobilize the theo-cons of the Republican party. It has certainly been an active conversation in our household over living wills and wishes. I suspect that many Americans are making sure their wishes are known. I hope that the young lady passes peacefully soon and no longer has to suffer in this world.

...Last weekend was some of the best college basketball I can remember. I was truly stunned (and secretly delighted) to see kU lose in the first round of the tourney. I do believe that it was the largest upset ever and a wasted chance for a loaded and talented kU team that never found it's groove. The part of me that likes Bill Self as a person felt very sad for him, but the part of me that is an Illini and Mizzou fan was excited to see kansas bounced from the tourney. Otherwise, I really enjoyed watching the other upsets and great performances. March is truly my favorite sporting time of year.

...My thoughts are turning to baseball and the White Sox. I was sad to see some of my favorite sluggers depart this past offseason. Watching Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez with other teams will be difficult. I hope the small ball and strong pitching staff of the Sox will help them knock off the Twins and have a shot at a pennant this year. I like being a White Sox fan because I get to sit back and watch all of the Cubs and Cardinals fans hammer each other over their mediocrity!

...The signs of Spring are starting to poke through in Northern Iowa. The wind is less biting and is becoming pleasant. The sun is out longer and the daffodils are peeking through the soil. I can't wait to see some green on the trees. The spring means the summer and the end of the school year is close. This will be my third class of students that will be moving out of the halls this summer and I will be saying goodbye to some excellent leaders and staff. I am not looking forward to seeing some of them go. The end of the year is the hardest part of working at a University because you are constantly losing people you care about and having to say goodbye to good friends.

Tomorrow I will begin the process of interviewing new Hall Coordinator candidates for our department in an annual renewal process. I will also be gearing up for what I hope is a special weekend for the Illini. I truly believe this team has a purpose/destiny to fulfill. I just hope Arizona or Oklahoma St. dont't have a more important destiny!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home