Friday, August 20, 2004

The Film That Would Make A Traitor

Everyone has heard of the film...Farenheit 9/11. No matter what you think of Michael Moore or what side your politics fall on you cannot help but react to this film. Personally I have seen it twice, and I feel that it is truly an emotional roller coaster of a ride. I don't buy all of the conspiracy theories presented in the movie, but it is easy for me to believe some of the things. Michael Moore will show you support for all of his accusations if you want to see them. I did not support the invasion of Iraq in any sense, so seeing many of the realities of that conflict was upsetting, hurtful, and left me feeling very angry, although I did not need any of the movie to make me angry at the reign of Bush II.

The thing that really gets me about this film are the unfounded attacks on this film by critics that refuse to see it. How can you attack and discredit something that you have not seen? How quickly do people dismiss your opinions if you have not even seen what you are attacking? The right(wrong) wing seems to have a pure hatred of Michael Moore (much like my own for Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reiley and others), going so far as to label him as a traitor and his opinions as treason. Saddam Hussein would agree. For a state to condemn dissenting opinions in such a manner is a direct slap in the face to what the right(wrong) wing says we are fighting for. Michael Moore airs an opinion that, while not mainstream, gives voice to an important segment of the population. The truth is that the majority of America does not lie along the extreme left or right, but the population needs to know we exist because these sides point out important issues to consider for everyone else.

I wish people would see this movie so we could debate it on it's merits, rather than who is making the movie. One quality of the servant leader is that they listen to an opinion or statement based on the merit of the statement, not on who is saying it. That is called respect and every American brave enough to voice an unpopular opinion should be given the respect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home