Friday, January 28, 2005

Embracing Nothingness

As in embrassing the fact that there is not a 1, 2, or 3 in the Illini loss column.

Rick Morrisey has a great article about the Illini faithful who think a loss would do us good. I have to admit that I was one of those fans until recently. I had prepared myself for an Illini loss. I had rationalized that this team could stand to have a tough test not go there way so that they could know how to reach down and strive for victory when it really mattered.

My awekening came half way through the second half of the Illini game vs. Wisconsin...shortly after Jack Ingram hit his second three pointer. This team has essentially been playing together for three years. During that time they have tasted some bitter losses, especially in the NCAA tournament. The early loss to Notre Dame in 2003 stings like a jellyfish. Losing to Duke last year was not as painful, more of a precursor for this year. The Iowa game this year was a struggle for the Illini and they still managed to pull it out.

Maybe it is a sign of our culture to say that Illinois should lose. No one can be perfect, and the mentality says that people should prepare themselves so that they are never perfect. Well, why can't we strive for the ideal? Why shouldn't we hope/wish/strive for perfection? Why can't the Illini run the entire freaking table? I think part of the hesitancy of fans to look for the unbeaten season is years of broken expectations and let downs. Seeing the program crumble after the Deon Thomas recruiting mess and watching the limitless potential of the Peoria gang falter. Austin Peay anyone??? The excitement of the Illini fan is an excitement bottled in a small container...we always seem to be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

This team is different. They are wearing #1 with pride and meeting all challengers with enthusiasm and courage. I can tell these guys are playing for each other, they must really like each other. The extra pass, the dive to the floor, and the support for each other make this team different. They may lose before the tourney season, but I am through waiting for it to happen. I am rooting for loss column to remain a vacant space. What good is failure anyway? Why not continue to improve while you are already excelling at a high level? I hope the Illini keep this focus that they have. I truly believe that if they can get past Michigan State that they have an exceptional chance to be undefeated headed into the Big Ten tourney.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you've done your rland make money vacant research. You can check out the information I have at my land make money vacant site.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home