Monday, September 27, 2004

Youth Vote Issues #2: Judicial Nominees

Of all the issues in this election, the topic of judicial appointments is at the top of the list for me. In all likelihood, whoever is elected President will be appointing anywhere from 1-3 new Supreme Court justices, as well as a score of other lower court appointments.

This article talks about the role judicial appointments might play in the next four years.

I believe that judicial nominations are important, and a reason to vote for John Kerry. Here is why:

1. Abortion: No issue is more important to conservatives than overturning Roe v. Wade and making abortions illegal. I personally do not believe that it will ever happen (and if it does then we will return to a time of back alley abortions that endanger the lives of mothers). However, given the chance, Bushy will certainly appoint anti-choice candidates to the Supreme Court and allow abortion to be challenged.

2. Gay Marriage: A personal mission of mine. The more conservative judges that are appointed across the nation, the more likely that civil unions and other attempts to make everyone free will fail or be shot down by right wing "activist" judges. I do believe that everyone should be able to enter into a legal obligation with another consenting adult. Marriage is a religous term that cannot be used in law to restrict individuals.

3. Civil Rights: The Patriot Act has stripped away many of the personal freedoms that soldiers have died for to give to us. If more conservative judges are appointed then we will continue to loose valuable human and civil rights to the will of Big Brother (terrorism protection).

These are the big three reasons that I feel compel me to continue to vote Democratic. These are some pretty cherished rights that have been hard fought for. I would hate to see years of progress undone by the religiously radical right and their judicial nominees. Young folks should really think about the types of judges they would want representing their values before they cast a vote on Nov. 2.

1 Comments:

Blogger GT said...

Well Spoony, I think you are right, and I wish you would keep posting on your blog! I also think I need to elevate my timeline to read that book so that i can talk more about it with you!

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home