Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Wine Tasting Results

We had a great time tasting some wines! First though, the food was great. Mrs. IWG and I slaved over the stove to prepare a homeade Spinach Artichoke Dip that was amazing, as well as baking a Brie, and providing some cookies!

We tasted four wines, here is how I ranked them.

1. 2002 Concannon Selected Vineyard Petite Sirah: This wine was amazing! I had never had a Petitie Sirah before I and I have to say that I was blown away. This wine was thick, it coated the glass nearly like a cough syrup, yet it was rather smooth when I drank it. The tannins were incredible in this wine! The aroma coming from this wine was first rate. I spent half my drinking time just inhaling all of the goodness! On first taste my cheeks were sucked dry by the tannins. If you like dry reds, pick this baby up! At $12 retail it is a bargain, and I found it on sale for $9.

2. 2002 Ravenswood California Chardonnay: Normally I do not like dry, oaky wines, but this one was a beauty! It was buttery and flavorful. A really good buy at $10.

3. 2003 Château Ste. Michelle Gewurztraminer: A great Gewurtz, nice and spicy with good aroma. The Riesling of this vintage is supposed to be exceptional, but for that bite of spice this is a good wine.

4. 2001 Blackstone Pinot Noir: Just okay. I grabbed this one off the shelf to give it a try and was not dazzled by it. It was the least touched at the party. Nothing wrong, just not a great Pinot.

All in all we had a great time and we drained a few of the bottles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home