Thursday, November 11, 2004

Veterans Day

Originally called Armistice Day to mark the end of The Great War, a war so terrible many thought it would be the war to end all war, in 1918. When man did not learn it's lesson, and World War II was fought, the name was changed to Veteran's Day. It is a day to honor all the past soldiers and present soldiers who keep us free. We honor them for the freedom they gave us, freedom to screw things up from time to time, but freedom for us all. I honor the following:

Sgt. Chet Wilcox, 82nd Airborne Division: Chet is my brother in-law. His four year term of service ended two weeks ago and he is home now enjoying life out of the service. During his service time he served in Afghanistan and Iraq. He also completed the gruelling Army Ranger Training. Chet will be starting college in January.

William Max Coon: My grandfather that recently passed away. Max served in the Army from 1952-1954. He spent part of his term of service in Korea. One of my cherished heirlooms from him is his green Army trenchcoat that he used in Korea. My grandpa still had his M-1 rifle that he used in the Army.

James Thompson: My other grandfather. Jim served in the Army for several years. Jim fought in the Pacific theatre during World War II, including dangerous times on the island of Guam. Grandpa Jim has a great photo album of his times abroad.

Chris Thompson: My first cousin. He currently serves in the Navy. He is moving up the ranks and I believe he is now training submarine crew members. He has been in the navy for nearly ten years now.

Jim Wilcox: My wife's grandfather. Jim served in the Navy during World War II.

Take the time to thank those veterans in your life. They served during hard times when the will of America was truly tested.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found your blog while searching for something for a paper. I think I know your brother-in-law Chet. I met him when he was stationed at Fort Bragg before he was supposed to go back home to Illinois. If you get this, just tell him I said hello.
--Lauren from North Carolina

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home